5/05/2020

Week14 Webcomics


I read 17776 or What Football Will Look Like in the Future, and Trash Mountain for this week, which I had a lot of fun.

 The 17776 or What Football Will Look Like in the Future comic is interesting. I did not realize that the characters are Artificial satellites for the first time. I also had fun with the range of formats; the calendar, text chat, gif animation, and YouTube video. Seeing different mediums in the story is interesting.

The Trash Mountain reminds me of a gif comic artist on twitter, who is Quick Obake. He(she) creates one or two panels comic with moving the main character. I think this half animation comic is very interesting to see because this is a contemporary comic style. It arrows to the artist a wider range of expression.


 I believe comic is a kind of in-between media of word base media, such as novels, and film media, such as animations and films. Animations and films are telling stories unilaterally to the viewer while novels require the reader’s imagination. In other words, animations and films limit the viewer’s imagination, and sometimes novels are too hard for readers to understand what is going on. The comic is in between them. It still has places of arrows the viewers’ imagination, but at the same time, it shows the many or less graphic which helps the reader to get into the story. I think comics have the advantage of both media.

 I think webcomics have the next advantage adding to the point that I wrote above. The additional mediums added in the webcomic show what the author wants to be received by readers. The animation makes the viewer feel the detailed movement of the character, music shows more atmosphere, and more letters induce more imagination of the reader. When the author wants to tell some additional information or feeling to the viewer, I think webcomics are a great style of comics.

No comments:

Post a Comment