4/04/2020

Week9 French Comics

 I have a lot of fun reading this week's assignment. I felt that the French comics are not only comics but also an art. My favorite works are Moebius and Metal Hurlant by Jean Giraud. I have been so impressed how wide is his range of art stile in these works. The character design in Moebius is more comical and stylized while humans in Metal Hurlant are so realistic. Even their styles are different, I could see the basic knowledge of human anatomy in both of them. I would like to say them as academically well-studied comics. 

I also really like how he draws the background, especially machines. His works are a really good reference for my illustration works.


 This is my illustration. I like to draw complex machines with an inked pen. When I draw an illustration in this way, I am always focusing on making rhythm. Rhythm means the composition which is created by several components of artworks such as color, value, complexity and so on. Giraud’s works are great to learn these things.

 Machines are messy with buttons and codes, but it still clear to see because he made a rhythm. Some places are very simple while some others are so complex. When there is no color and no tone, the composition will be created with complexity for the most. I think I can learn a lot from his work.

I like Ciraud's art style. I think one of the reasons is the similarity of Japanese manga. Especially Metal Hurlant and Nausicaa of the valley of the wind are similar in its style of art. I think both of them are simply well drawing. 

1 comment:

  1. I love your art work! It's amazing! I agree that while we are reading a comic, we are not only reading the story, but also learning how the author created the art works. There're so many things we can learn from comic books.

    ReplyDelete